Feng Shui your Room

Many students were amazed by how Mr.s Sturtevant’s room transformed over break! It used to be a crowded mess! I felt like I couldn’t get out of my own way!

Utter chaos

I decided to get rid of a lot of stuff:

• 2 desks
  • 1 filling cabinet
  • 1 lectern
  • 2 chairs
  • reams of paper

I cannot tell you how much bigger my room seems and how unburdened I feel moving through it. This has also LIBERATED the flow of chi through my workspace!

Below, are excerpts from an article written by Carol Olmstead entitled “Feng Shiu for Real Life.”

feng shui basics

Feng Shui is a system for arranging your surroundings in harmony and balance with the natural world around you. In Chinese, the words Feng Shui mean “wind and water.” Feng Shui For Real Life is a contemporary, practical approach that allows you to use what you already have and what you want to acquire to bring good things into your life.

Three Power Principles of Feng Shui

• Chi

Chi is energy. It is the constantly moving and changing life force that we feel around us making us feel either good or bad in a certain location. Chi can accumulate in the objects around you. In your home or office, the chi will flow in through the door and out through the windows. The goal of Feng Shui improvements (or “cures”) is to keep the chi flowing gently throughout your environment rather than running straight through it. Chi can have a negative effect on your surroundings when it gets stuck or blocked.

• The Five Elements

The Five Elements is the collective name used to describe the colors, shapes, and textures around you. The Elements are: Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, and Wood. Each Element is distinguished by a characteristic shape, colors, and set of attributes. Feng Shui improvements for homes and offices balance all of these Elements in your interior environment.

ELEMENT SHAPE COLORS ATTRIBUTES
Fire FireTriangle Red, Orange, Purple Passion, Emotion
Earth EarthSquare Brown, Yellow Grounding, Stability
Metal MetalCircle White, Metallic Strength, Independence
Water WaterCurvy Black, Blue Relaxation, Inspiration
Wood WoodRectangle Green, Teal Growth, Expansion
  • The Bagua

The Bagua is the chart used to map the areas of a home or office and determine where to locate the objects and colors that represent the Five Elements. The traditional bagua is an octagon (the word bagua means “8-sided” in Chinese). Modern approaches to Feng Shui use a grid-shaped chart to map nine areas of your life (see Bagua Map):

1. Power/Wealth/Abundance
  2. Fame/Future/Reputation
  3. Love/Relationships/Marriage
  4. Creativity/Children/Legacy
  5. Compassion/Travel/Helpful People
  6. Self/Career/Work
  7. Knowledge/Wisdom/Harmony
  8. Family/Health/Community
  9. Well-Being/Balance

Now…it’s your turn!

Job 1: Feng Shui something. Your bedroom, unless you’re an organized person, just may be an excellent candidate. If your bedroom is neat, how about your car, or your locker?

Job 2: Include a Before and After pic your effort.

Job 3: Explain in your post how your new arrangement honors:

• Chi
  • The 5 Elements
  • Bagua

Job 4: Write a brief narrative about your feelings about your new setup!